Amanda Cross and G. Helen Athan have joined the Board of Directors of The Women?s Fund of Southwest Florida. Both new directors bring extensive experience to the board and a passion for supporting women?s issues.
G. Helen Athan is a shareholder of Grant Fridkin Pearson, P.A. in Naples, Fla. and has practiced law in Southwest Florida since 1989. She has an "AV" rating from Martindale-Hubbell and is listed in Best Lawyers in America. She has extensive experience in all aspects of commercial and residential real estate law, including acquisition, development, financing, title and leasing, and business organizations and transactions. Community involvement includes:
- Education Foundation of Collier County, Inc., former Member of the Board of Directors and Conversation Leader for Connect NOW Initiative
- Substance Abuse Coalition of Collier County, Member of ?Board of Directors
- Ave Maria Law School, Adjunct Professor in Commercial Systems, Spring 2012
- Leadership Collier, Class of 2004
- St. Katherine?s Greek Orthodox Church, Scholarship Committee
- Collier County Bar Association, Real Estate Section, past Chair
- Hospice of Naples, Inc., former Director
Amanda Cross? professional career began in the computer industry as co-founder of CWC Software. In 1990, Amanda moved to Sanibel with husband, W J Torpey, a saltwater fly-fishing guide and their young daughter, Lindsay. A few years later Lindsay developed a life threatening electrical problem in her heart, which was diagnosed at Golisano Children's Hospital of Southwest Florida. After a friend's infant son was diagnosed with cancer, Amanda co-founded Sanibel-Captiva Cares (SCC) to raise money and awareness for Golisano Children?s Hospital of Southwest Florida. To date, more than $4 million has been donated to the hospital by SCC. She is now involved in the capital campaign to build a freestanding facility for? Golisano Children?s Hospital of Southwest Florida on the Health Park Campus. Other notable services, achievements and recognitions include:
- Gulfshore Life 2006 Outstanding Volunteer Fundraiser
- Canterbury School (Fort Myers) trustee for 15 years
- Currently serves on the boards of these organizations:
- Lee Memorial Health System Foundation
- Harvard Club of Lee County
- Democratic Club of the Islands
- Women's issues:
- Member, League of Women Voters of Sanibel
- Supporter, EMILY's List and Ruth's List to elect women to state and national political offices
- Trustee, recently endowed family foundation whose mission will focus primarily on women
The mission of The Women?s Fund of Southwest Florida is to raise money?through federal and state grants, and relationships with individual and corporate donors, and employ a strategic grant-making model to fund programs and organizations that address the special,?critical needs of women and girls in Southwest Florida.
For more information about The Women?s Fund of Southwest Florida visit http://www.womensfundflorida.org? or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, follow The Women?s Fund on facebook.com/floridawomen and on twitter.com/twfofswfl.